Saturday, June 28, 2008

What a week!

So glad it's over! I just finished up 2 funerals for sisters in our ward! I couldn't believe it happened so close together. Both were because of illness, but both were unexpected. Can you believe I have done 12 funerals since becoming Relief Society President almost 5 years ago. I have actually put together a checklist (6 pages) of what to do for a funeral (especially good for RS Pres). I will send to any who need it. This is not something that you are naturally able to do, it is by experience that you learn.

One of the best ideas I had was for the second funeral. This was a very poor family, just husband and wife with limited mental capacities. Only one brother; so I knew there would not be many flowers at the service. I asked the women of our ward to bring a bouquet from their gardens if they had any flowers blooming. Well, the result was a chapel overflowing with flowers. The smell was unbelievable. The service was beautiful.

I was touched with the knowledge that each individual, no matter their personal circumstances, is important to our loving Heavenly Father. My understanding of life after death has increased by the witness of the spirit that we live again, love again and can always enjoy one another. I put this quote on the program, it is by Rossiter Worthington Raymond, "Life is eternal; and love is immortal; and death is only a horizon; and a horison is nothing save the limit of our sight."

It was a week with many touching experiences, but now I am ready for something else, hopefully a little more fun!

2 comments:

Shelli said...

What a wonderful quote -- I love the perspective it gives.

DANI KYNASTON said...

Wow! That must have been an exhausting week. You need to go relax in your awesome pool. Hopefully you can get enough rest for so that you will be ready for us to wipe you out again in a few weeks. We sure are looking forward to it!